Here's some clips of Steve Himmelman and Jennifer Kahle practicing some Clean and Jerks. We'll give you a critique on their technique. We threw in a couple bloopers for your entertainment.
- Steve's first clean looks good. If you look closely you will see an early arm bend. He needs to work on keeping the arms straight to deliver maximum leg power into the barbell. He sweeps the bar in nicely and does a nice job of keeping close to his body.
- His Jerk looks solid, keeping his chest high and launching the bar off of his shoulders. He lands with arms bent and is forced to press out. This could have been solved with a little more effort to drive under the bar faster. He should also "punch the arms up" as he drives under.
- Jenn's first clean looks solid. She creates a good fast pull under the bar with quick elbows. Notice how she keeps her knees out as she drives up out of her squat. It's hard to see from the front view but the bar could sweep in more. It hangs out in front just a bit.
- Her Jerk is solid but we can see the knees move in just a bit on her dip. She is quick and punches her arms up nicely. Her biggest issue is the back foot. It lands somewhat flat with the toes turned out. She wants to be more on the ball of her foot and turn the foot straight or even slightly turned in.
- In the latter clips, we can see Steve recieves the bar a bit lower. This is fixed simply by trying to land in a lower position….moving towards a squat. We can also see the same issues with Jenn's Jerk. The knees and foot position. She has to press the last one out just a bit. More effort to drive down quickly with a solid arm punch will fix this.
- Overall GREAT JOB!!!